Mark L. Irvings, Esq.
ARBITRATOR / MEDIATOR
- 24 Elba Street Brookline, MA 02446-6759
- Phone: 617-734-3278
- Mark L. Irvings, Esq.
Since 1975, my practice has been devoted to alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration, fact-finding, mediation, and serving as special counsel to institutional adjudicatory bodies. I serve as mediator and arbitrator in the following areas: ERISA, including trustee deadlocks; pensions; wage and hour class actions; higher education; individual employment agreements; employment termination; discrimination (age, disability, housing, race, religious, gender, sexual harassment, sexual preference); retaliation; whistleblower; non- competition and non-solicitation; property valuation, division, and usage; community conflict; partnership creation and dissolution; organizational dynamics (board of director, executive director, and staff interactions); and a full range of commercial matters, including contract and lease disputes. I also handle a wide variety of labor-management case and serve as impartial arbitration chair for Major League Baseball Players Association and Major League Baseball, and serve or have served on permanent arbitration panels for SEIU, Local 2020 and Boston Medical Center; GE and IUE; Electric Boat Corporation and the Metal Trades Council; Electric Boat Corporation and the Marine Draftsmen’s Association; Teamsters Local 633 and Frito-Lay; Yale University and Local 34, FUE; USWA, Local 8751 and First Student, Inc; and SEIU; and Major League Baseball Players Association and Major League Baseball (salary arbitration).
- Northeastern University School of Law
Adjunct Professor of Law – Course in Negotiations
- Massachusetts Labor Relations Reporter
- American Arbitration Association, Community Dispute Services Department
Consultant for Training and Program Development
I was involved in developing pioneering alternative dispute resolution programs for governmental agencies, courts, prisons, and schools. I also conducted numerous training programs in negotiations and mediation.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Bar
- National Academy of Arbitrators – past chairperson, New England Region
- American Arbitration Association Panels for Labor Arbitration, Commercial Arbitration, Employment Disputes, Employee Benefit Disputes, Multi-Employer Pension Plan Withdrawal Liability Disputes
- Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination Panels of Mediators and Arbitrators
- Massachusetts Bar Association – past positions include chairperson, Committee on Labor Contract Administration; member of Labor Law Section Executive Council; co-chair of Mediator Selection and Training Committee for MCAD Pro Bono Mediation Project; member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- American Bar Association – past neutral co-chair, Committee on ADR in Labor and Employment Law
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America; New England Superlawyers; Boston’s Best Lawyers.
- Harvard College – B.A., Magna Cum Laude in Economics
- Northeastern University School of Law – J.D.